Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulator

Options
How much resistance would there be to push water thru a standard carridge type Taco cicculator? Assuming the circ works but in not on?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Circulator:

Why would you want to do it?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    depends

on how much flow you are moving, I suppose. i doubt their is much resistance..

It's common to see this on solar drainback systems with dual pumps. Both circs run until the siphon is established, one drops off and the second is going along for the ride.

I'm trying a dual pump on my wood boiler buffer tank. One pump charges the tank, pulling cool water from the bottom and hot into the top. When the wood fire burns out and the tank is stratified, I pull the hot from the top to run through the night of a day or two without reloading the boiler.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Why not build a bypass?

Hot Rod,

You drawing shows the circs opposing one another, why not build a bypass?  you could go with flow check valves to keep it simple or even zone valves if you wanted.  

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    Options
    sure

It could be piped a number of ways. I also looked a a 4 way valve with an operator that would switch from one set of ports to the other. Like the flow reversers we use for long loop radiant "fixes"

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I was thinking

and we all know how that causes issues. If you simply piped 2 circs one above the other pumping horizontal in opposite directions with IFC pumps the worse that will happen is them pumping in a circle if the controls go wonky. as you have it they will dead heading. also the flow rates I would think would be better with the by pass method. One reason I never end up installing a wood boiler is I do not want to accommodate that 500 gallon tank.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • hot_rod
    Options
    another good idea

like this Charlie?

I have some old brass drainage Ys that it could be piped with to help prevent the pumps going around in circles.

The control I have uses a double throw relay, so only one pump can be energized at a time. Even if the relay or control fails only one contact is "made"

This system is in my shop so accommodating that 500 gallon tank was not an issue. The days of $3.00+ a gallon LP, again, on the horizon, keep me motivated to use wood as a fuel source.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Yes thats it

I would not have worried about using tee's. I like that you put the pump under I was thinking above the pipe but your way will be better for not trapping air.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.