Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rad not getting hot

Options
BobbyC
BobbyC Member Posts: 96
Hi Guys, I'm sure this topic has gone around a few times.  Last year installed a new steam boiler and one of my rads in the 2nd floor bedroom isn't getting hot.  Just like th first rung will get warm.

I have listened when the boilers fired and do hear water swishing in the rad and riser to it at times.

I should point out it's the last rad in the cycle for one of the mains...

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    one cold radiator

It sounds like the pipe pitch might be wrong for that last radiator on that main.

You didn't mention it but it make a difference if this is two pipe rather than one pipe steam.

First put a level on the radiator and make sure it has a slight pitch back towards the input valve, if need be you can shim the vent end up with a couple of quarters to get the pitch back. If it is two pipe steam the radiator wants to be pitched towards the exit pipe at the other end from the input valve.

Next put  a level on the pipe that feeds that radiator in the cellar and make sure it pitches back towards the boiler.

Post some pictures of the radiators (showing both ends) and the piping in the cellar that feeds this radiator.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.