Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

old faishioned honeywell thermostat with mercury

Options
I had a few years ago an utica steam-boiler installed. this year a " boiler-man" installed an electronic aprilair nun-programmable therms. and its not helping us. the heat comes as an explosion and then it gets very cold. I contacted the technician and he said that i would do best with on old-time mercury based round honeywell. Well, i cant find this anywhere. it has something to do with the anticipator,that seems to be absent from my new one,that cost me over $100. any-one .... help? thanks. ingrid.

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Contact Honeywell below

and explain to them that you are looking for a steam thermostat.  It should be the one with the lowest cycles per hour.  Mine can be set to 1.2 cycles per hour. 

http://www.honeywell-thermostat.com/contact.html
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Go on ebay

You can find them on Ebay
  • Manny_PGH
    Manny_PGH Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I just replaced a mercury thermostat

I have a single pipe steam system. I just replaced a broken mercury thermostat with a TH5110 (I got it for about $45). The anticipator in the mercury thermostat was shot as the boiler was cycling every couple of minutes.

I picked that thermostat after reading this FAQ:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/21/Systems-FAQ/43/Steam-systems-Best-thermostats

It seems to be working well and does have a "gravity/steam" configuration setting.

Full disclosure - I am not an expert, just a home owner that is new to steam. Good Luck.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Mercury thermostat anticipator

Are you sure the thermostat was broken? There is very little that can go wrong with the anticipator. It has a very large range of adjustment. In fact yours sounds like it was working too well, if it was causing short cycling.

By moving the adjustment up to the 1.2 setting you could effectively defeat the anticipator and produce very long heating cycles.
  • Manny_PGH
    Options
    I believe so

The temperature never got above 56 on the thermostat even though it was set to 62, and regardless of where the anticipator was set the boiler cycled very couple of mins.

With the new thermostat the temperature is where it should be and the boiler runs much longer.
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    What is the correct anticipator setting

What is the correct anticipator setting for a steam system. I have a munal Hoeywell chronotherm with a clock
  • Manny_PGH
    Options
    Find the right manual

by doing a search online.

Here is the manual for the T8631A,R Communicating Chronotherm III Thermostats - see figure 8 on page 4:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-0689.pdf

I found this manual by searching for "honeywell chronotherm Adjustable cycling rates" -  several other models showed up also.
  • steancrazed
    steancrazed Member Posts: 11
    Options
    old T-stat honeywell

thanks for the hint, i contacted honeywell,they recommended a model and i also plan to give them a call,they included the phone #, thanks!
  • steancrazed
    steancrazed Member Posts: 11
    Options
    ebay

can you believe it, I found everything but....and when i had a question,no-one knew what kind of t-stat they had. but.. i will go there one more time. thanks
  • MadKajan
    MadKajan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Mercury settings for Honeywell Thermostat

I just rented an apartment here in Colorado....and upon moving in I discovered that the apartment is equipped with an swamp cooler (that what they call them here this unit sits on top of the apartment....and there's a Honeywell thermostat in the downstairs and I guess it's for the air condition unit (radiator) ...which is set around the baseboard  area of the apartment  / I am unfamiliar with them...anyway the Thermostat on the wall, I guess the model # which starts with a T according to Honeywell is T822D2550 looks as if someone has been adjusting it....well my question is what are the correct setting I should set the mercury switch on the thermostat....I'm not trying to give the electric company no more than I need too.....

don't want to pay to much

James
This discussion has been closed.