Hello, this is a continuation of my first thread, which got very busy with replies.
Summary of old thread:
- Even though the title is One Cold Radiator, I actually had two radiators which were hot and cold in streaks (as in hot for a week, then off for a week).. while the rest of my five radiators are always hot.
- After some investigation, we found that I was under vented.
- Discovered a slow leak on my LWCO blow off valve
Since my last post in the previous thread, my army of new vents arrived. Seven Hoffman 1As and Two Gorton No. 2's. All have been installed. (Gortons pictured below).
For two nights, all radiators were perfectly hot, just as I expected. BR2 has been hot for a full week now! However, on the third night, the BR1 room (my sons room) was again Cold :-( Before running back here, I performed a few experiments.
1. I removed the air vent from the cold radiator, and about 1/4 or 1/2 oz of water spilled out of it. At first, I thought that was causing the vent to block, so I shook all of the water out. After about 2 minutes, the steam arrived at the radiator, and I put the same vent back on. 24 hours later, it was cold again.
2. I switched the air vent with BR2, thinking maybe I had a defective vent (again when I removed it, water poured out). After about 2 minutes of being without a vent, the steam arrived at BR1. After switching the vents, both remained hot for 24 hours, but then again, the BR1 went cold while BR2 stayed hot (so the problem did not follow the vent, remained at the radiator).
3. I shut off two radiator's feed pipes BR2 & FR2 (the small one) thinking that would somehow convince the steam to move to BR1 - that experiment also failed.
So replacing the vents had positive impact on BR2, but BR1 still has a problem. I've attached many pictures of the bad radiator. The radiator itself is pitched a little bit, I attached a picture with a level on it.
I checked the pitch of the main steam pipe, and it is pitched equally throughout the basement, about a half a bubble is over the line.
What else can I check?