Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

homeowner

Have radient heat boiler working fine propane furnace.all pipes are extremely hot around furnace but radiators upstairs are all cold???? Any sugestions.

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I am a homeowner too.

I have radiant heat downstairs and baseboard upstairs. Two zones: one upstairs, one downstairs. Zoned with circulators. You might check your system, since it is likely to be zoned with something. Be sure the circulators are working if you use circulators, or that your zone valves work if you use zone valves.

More likely, you may have air in the piping If there is only a little air in there, you could probably wait until the air extractor gets it out, but if you get no heat, that would be too much air and you will have to bleed it out. If your system is piped right, there should be bleed valves at the high points of your system. Some use a little key to open them. Some use a screw driver. Starting at the top of your system you open one at a time until water comes out with no air in it. You will need to catch the water. Close that bleed valve and go to the next.

The contractor who installed the baseboard upstairs in my house said baseboard does not require bleed valves. I now have my doubts about that, and about that contractor. I do have purge valves on my system, but I hesitate to use them because I would have to replace the boiler treatment, and that is a pain.
This discussion has been closed.