Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

whats your thoughts on recessing a free standing radiator

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
would it be okay to frame the radiators into the wall and use a reflective barrier,it is going in a basement and i dont want to use baseboard.they are the standard column radiator.i am planning on piping in a manifold and from there running pex to each radiator,anyone think this is a good idea,thanks in advance and a happy new year to all

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Basement radiators.

You can do whatever you want.

If you have a free standing radiator, you can accurately figure out the output of the unit. If you enclose it in a box, you will have no idea of the output. Most put way too much radiation in a cellar for the heat loss so it isn't a problem. Just make sure that it is on its own zone. Buried basements have very little heat loss. Even on the coldest days. The greatest heat loss is from grade up which is exposed to the coldest outside air. The rest is exposed to the buried ground.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    basement rad

thanks icesailor,it will be on its own zone and each rad can be controlled by the manifold.without getting to technical would the rule of thumb be a radiator under each window,i am still trying to learn how to do an accurate heat loss calculation
This discussion has been closed.