Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tricked by me

Options
j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
Figured I would share my recent call for one radiator not heating in a single pipe steam system, I recently installed.....Piped in my normal fashion with a dropped header with two supply take offs...all by the book....On completion of the job I started her up and each radiator heated up in a timely manner,,,I was happy and so was the owner, job inspecteced, I was paid, everyone happy and warm...For two months all was fine, then the calls came, about one radiator not heating...On my first visit I as most of us start questioning or own work, I was convinced I had done a good job....But the complaint was the normal one...well it worked before with my old system, and again I started feeling bad...I went thru the entire system pipe by pipe..I found one disconnected radiator in a bathroom the valve was leaking and venting at a fairly good rate...I secured the valve and sure enough the cold radiator started heating...Everyone happy...One more week, then the calls came back, with a little bit of attitude.... So off i go again...Yes the same radiator was cold, I was beside myself, as I take it very personal...I went back to the basics, Checked the water line and it seemed fine, I then for no other reason started draining the boiler, as I was, I opened up the relief valve, and what to my wondering surprise was WATER...The owners told me they filled it only to my markings I left for them...What happened was that little old oil ring on the sight gage had me fooled.. After talking to the homeowner he told me he figured if they were going away for the weekend it would be best to overfill the system  Seems he filled it just enough to partially block off the last riser off the dropped header...That riser was feeding the one cold radiator...I have learned,,,,clean clean clean...and make sure you pass along the homeowners check list from the manufacture..I must admit it, Its such a good feeling, to be able to figure things out, with reason...I learn everyday    thanks

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    recalls are never pleasant

but there is something good feeling about figuring things out and especially when you can uncover that it wasn't really oneself at fault..doesn't help the wallet any..but does ease the pain.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    overfilling

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to sell an autofeeder.......have never installed a steamer without on....keeps the uninformed away from from the boiler as much as possible.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I had a call back on that system 2000 I worked on

I usually avoid system 200's as a rule as they seem to have a dark cloud over them when I get called in. Turns out they called the next evening they had no hot water. I asked if the heat was on they said the house was still warm. Then it dawned on me. As I was rolling up the drop light I had dragged it over the boiler top. I guess when I did I hit the left hand switch for the control. The pellet stove had kept the house warm and the water tank had so low of a heat loss it took all day to run out of hot water. So they flipped the switch and it came to life. Lesson triple check all switches and valves before leaving the job.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    auto feeders

After reading all the information I do not like them and will not install them...Why,because,they are not suggested by boiler manufactures and according to my readings they are installed to keep the system just above the low water cutoff point and that is not the designed fill point to deliver the correct amount of steam... that said I am open to others opinions....Water meter or not if the customer has heat, he will be prone not to call, no mater how many gallons are registered .on the meter....But he will call when the boiler rots due to fresh water intake.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I am a convert now

I had been against water feeders for many years. I now try to get folks to use them if budget will allow. It is nice to be able to go away for a long weekend and not have a dry cold boiler when they get home. The VXT with a meter is nice for us when we service it as we can see how much water has been used. Makes water adding easier to quantify. The lower water line does come to steam faster.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    auto feeder

on our jobs we always use auto feeders and low water cut offs.never be to safe,every boiler i see in nyc has them
This discussion has been closed.