Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noisy steam system

johnnyge
johnnyge Member Posts: 86
I have in my house a one pipe steam system. Last year the boiler was working very quit with no banging pipes or radiators noises. This year is a total different story. hissing radiators and banging pipes. I have new main air vents, which are located at the end of the return. ( original set up . house is from the 1930's). On the short return I have a Gorton #1 and on the long return a Hoffman 75 (I think) plus I added a Maid of the mist main air vent. same set up as last year.

The only think that I did was to closed 2 radiators on the second floor on the rooms that are not in use at this time. Also now I have about 3 valves leaking steam from the stem part of the valve.(original valves) when the boiler is working, this is just happened or just noticed a few weeks ago. Also check all the radiators for the pitch for condensate return,and the air vents are working fine.

What do you think is the problem??? the close radiators??? or the leaking valves??? or what else.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    check

your pigtail.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Re: noisy steam

If you open the valves you closed, does the banging go away. We have found that some of the old valves were not sealing off and letting condensate build up in radiator that was supposedly off, causing some hammer. Also as stated by others, pigtail plugged? pressure going too high. Try lowering pressure as low as you can and see how she responds. Good luck and happy holidays.
  • johnnyge
    johnnyge Member Posts: 86
    edited December 2010
    noisy steam system

Thank you for your quick response... I am going to open the valves that I close and check the pigtail. to make sure is clean ( I totally forgat about that). and the presuretol is in a low setting, but i will lowed it a bit more.  Happy holidays.
This discussion has been closed.