Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator too high for union now...

Ro
Ro Member Posts: 2
radiator too high for union now...

hello everyone diy semi-newbie here.lol....so had a leak from the floor valve (so i fixed it i think) but now  the female half of the union on the radiator is now about 1/4" higher than the male union on the steam feed pipe coming up through the floor). the feed pipe doesn't budge so i cant lift pipe to align with rad, and when i loosen the valve so it can reach the rad it feels like its not tight and i will have the leak again. its an old rad... house is about 70 years old .i think i have to extend the feed pipe somehow.. any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks ..

p.s it looks like previous owner had same issue when they layed new tile in bathroom and jury rigged an extension to steam pipe but then then feed pipe was too high so they put rad on wood blocks to raise rad and align with steam pipe..i prefer to not have to do this..thanks again..

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    RE: radiator valve fit up

First off, I trust you did replace the union section on the radiator also????? This is a must, some people think you can just leave that and replace the valve but they won't mate up properly.  2nd, if above is done right, some times we have to replace the riser to the valve if accessible to get right height or worst scenario, drill out the floor a 1/4 " with bit as bit as base of feet so the feet drop down into floor to get radiator down to correct level. 

If not sure, snap a pic and post it here and we will give further ideas. Tim
This discussion has been closed.