Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Absorption Refrigeration Equipment

NRTDave
NRTDave Member Posts: 48
I am working with a customer who is exploring heating equipment options for a radiant heating and radiant cooling residential project. I was recommending looking at reverse cycle heat pump equipment and manufacturers. The customer wanted to know about absorption refrigeration technology. I am not familiar with such technology but told the customer that I would ask around which lead me to this forum. The question to ask first would be is there equipment and application for residential projects. The heating and cooling loads for the project would be near 100k BTU/hr. Thank you in advance for any reply.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,139
    robur nh3 reverse absorbtion

hey rob check out robur they make reverse heating cooling absorbtion system ,they are not cheap and there would be in my eyes the need for a storage and hydralic seperation also ,heard they are equipted with a dcc controls and are very effeceint ,totally sealed system refregerant side you would need to use gylcol on the system side also most are gas fired and after doing some reasearh you would not be getting your domestic hot water off it durning the summer as i have read but they are probalbly the most eff system for ooling in my eyes hope this help peace and good luck clammy happy holidays

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Dave

I was a Robur installer and repairman going back at least ten years now.

They are a pain in the ****, I would suggest that if you are not going to make a full commitment or have a sub that is really involved..stay away.

Fist you have to buy 717 (anhydrous ammonia) in large in 150 lb tanks, then weigh it out in liquid form into small specially designed ammonia tank, then into another specially designed tank to mix the distilled water with the ammonia. Handleling ammonia is not something to be taken lightly.

The units themselves, at least the older ones( I have never seen th HP except for its prototype in the factory)are difficult to work on they were driven by gm power steering pumps that pulsated a large teflon heart valve disc. These units are heavy, they are made of steel...ammonia eats copper... and they still require electricity.
  • NRTDave
    NRTDave Member Posts: 48
    Reply Thanks

Thanks Clammy and TonyS for your replies.

I will pass this information onto the customer and advise to look to refrigerant type reverse cycle heat pumps as heating equipment options for the project.

Happy New Years to all Heating Help readers!
  • Geo_Guy
    Geo_Guy Member Posts: 1
    Robur

Howdy,

We've installed a few of the Robur heat pumps and they work like a top!  The GAHP units have been out for a few years now and the only repairs we've had to do on them are some belt replacements.  I appreciate that dealing with ammonia can be a pain but you would only ever have to on these systems if something went horribly wrong.
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Absorption Chiller

I work on steam fired, Lithium Bromide chillers, and I really enjoy working on them. Mostly Trane & Carrier. Some of these units are 40+ years, because our Energy Mgt. department has taken such good care of them over the years. I know we are talking about two different animals, but same basic principle. Good Luck!

JMHO Thanks!
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Dont get me wrong Geo guy

These units are really clever, Einstein and many others had their hand in the development of absorption cooling. I had one cooling my shop for many years, I use to stand and marvel at how I would get chilled water by burning a flame. Tinkering and playing with these things is really cool. They are usually trouble free as you said...when a properly sized single coil is matched to the unit and a flow rate established. What really seems to shorten their life is zoning and that causes short cycling.

I was kinda answering Daves question from a business point of view.

On a standard A/C system, worst case scenario a compressor blows, it is really no big deal to get back in operation, parts are easily gotten.

On an absorption system things dont go that fast, if the diaphragm splits and hydraulic fluid enters the system, it is basically junk.

All this is happening while the customer has no heat and there is fresh snow in the yard.

These units also consume a fair amount of electric for the condenser fan and hydraulic pump so you need to figure that into the efficiency.

UGI use to sell these units when the gas company was at war with the electric companies but now that they are one big happy monopoly they sell electric a/c for two simple reasons....Better profit and better system otherwise they would have kept selling gas units.

When I was in training in Indiana We had several foreigners from areas where there seems to be lots of natural gas and little electric. These units tend to sell better in these countries.  
This discussion has been closed.