Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO frequently adding water

Options
My steam boiler (Weil McLain PEG50PIDN) is ten years old.Just this heat season I've noticed that the LWCO shuts down the furnace almost every heat cycle. This is much more frequent than in past years. I've checked all piping including return lines and can't find any leaks. All radiator vents appear to be working properly. The water level in the sight glass when not running is right in the middle. I have noticed what appears to be steam coming out of the chimney. But I've seen this at other houses and never thought this to be unusual. I would appreciate any help, I'm getting very nervous.

Comments

• World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Water loss

Are you adding a lot of water?

If so, There is a good chance the boiler cracked above the water level.

Is this a gas unit where you can look into the drafthood and see if there is steam? If it's going off every cycle and you need to add water for it to come back on but holds the water level  in between I would expect to find a cracked boiler. If it goes off and the level is low then comes back up after it sits I would be looking for a blocked return. If the level is holding and it's going off I would suspect you have a electronic LWCO and the prob is dirty or bad, possibly the unit malfunctioning.

Is that a light transparent plum from the chimney that could be condensing flue gases or a thick white cloud that would indicate steam up the chimney?
  • Spiderman
    Spiderman Member Posts: 3
    Options
    LWCO frequently adding water

The water is being added automatically after it shuts down. It's not allot, it runs for about 15 seconds. It is a gas boiler. I have looked up the flue ( with a mirror and flashlight) while it is running but don't see any steam. I recently replaced the LWCO probe hoping that would solve the problem. No luck.It holds the water level while not running. I have watched the chimney while the boiler is running and I would have to say that it looks like steam to me. I hope it's not a cracked boiler. It had a 10 year warranty and that has just expired. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.