Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO frequently adding water

My steam boiler is now 10 years old. Just this year I've noticed that the LWCO shuts down the furnace almost every heat cycle. This is much more frequent than in past years. I can't find any leaks. Radiator vents seem to be operating properly. I'm getting very nervous. Can anyone tell me why and what to do about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Chris M_2
    Chris M_2 Member Posts: 67
    LWCO Adding Water

Where is the water level when the boiler is cold?  Look on the sight glass. 1/2 way up? 1/4 way up?  Make a note of where the water level is when the boiler's cold.  Then see where the level is after the boiler fires and finishes heating the house, and the water returns to the boiler. Is it at the same level?  Is it higher? Is it lower?  Also.. when the boiler's steaming, go outside and look up at the chimney.  Is there a white smoke coming out of the chimney?  White smoke (steam) CAN mean a boiler leak, but it can also just signify moisture in the chimney burning off.  Look for the boiler's installation manual (find it online in PDF) and find out what level the water's supposed to be at when the boiler's cold. Also.. You'd be better served by moving your post to the steam section, where the pros can help you troubleshoot the issue. Save yourself some further time by posting some pictures of the piping (steam piping and return piping) connected to your boiler. 
This discussion has been closed.