Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I can't find the EDR values anywhere

Options
I'm sizing up a new boiler for a 10 unit prewar building in NYC. They have these old recessed convectors that I can't find EDR values for. I even looked in Dan's book. Here's a photo of each end of a convector. This one was 8" wide, 6" deep by 60" long. The others in the building are the same style, but only 2" high, 6" deep and varying lengths, I'm including a photo of one of those too.

Right now the building has a boiler I believe might be oversized but I need to figure out these EDRs first. In the meantime I have been using values for Sterling convectors..

Thanks guys...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    cabinet dimensions affect EDR on a convector

We will also need the dimensions of the cabinet, not just the fin tube element.

Need to know the overall width, depth, and height of the convector unit.  Then comparing to the nearest should enable some of the pros on here to come up with a fairly accurate number.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Steve Fontas
    Steve Fontas Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That would be great

But I didn't think You guys would give me EDRs for 25 different units. I was kind of looking for a place t find them myself. In any case, they are fully recessed, 24" enclosures. Here's a spreadsheet.

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Looks like Governale Bros. International Convectors

Lookin your copy of EDR, page 215-217.  Look especially at the image on pg 216, sure looks like the element in your first 2 images.  They were manufactured in New York, so makes a lot of sense that may be what you have. 

I don't know whether your 3rd image relates to pg 217, or whether it may be a replacement element.

Hope this helps.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Steve Fontas
    Options
    Sweet

Thanks Dave. I'll look. How did I miss that?

• Steve Fontas
    Options
    It might be them

Guess, I'll just have to go with those. Thanks again, Dave.

This discussion has been closed.