Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell subtractive Pressuretrols

Options
Just had two of these pressuretrols sticking (the non Mercury type that comes with the Burnham Independance). One in the closed and one in the open position, both boilers are less than 3 years old. It seems strange that there would be problems already. I have ordered two vapor stats and have installed low pressure guages. Question; has anyone had these problems and any reports on the non mercury type vapor stats.

Thanks, Merry Christmas to everyone, and thanks so much for all the help throughout the year.

Comments

• will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    PressureTrol Issues

From my humble perspective, I've known of more than a few instances where the mechanical Honeywell P-trolls have been problematic. I'm not sure if it's because L404A controllers have been substituted for Vapor-stats (for pricing reasons) or what. A PressureTrol is just not as accurate as a Vapor-stat-I don't think anyone will argue that point. I will say that I have heard of techs being not so happy with the new mechanical Honeywell P-trolls. To be fair, is the pigtail clean and primed? Is the pressure gauge accurate?

All the Best-

Will
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    I have found

I needed to bur the set screw for the pressuretrol so it did not vibrate loose when set at low pressure. Did you check the pigtail as they come with that iron piece of junk/ I would say 3 years is just about right for it to plug up.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    More detail

Hi Charlie-

Merry Christmas to you and yours (and everyone else).

Just trying to fight off a food coma, and caught your post. Could you give me more detail as to what you did? After talking to some of my compadres, they said they had also had issues with the new mechanical 'trols-if you've seen it too and have solved it, would love to know what exactly you did!

All the best-

Will
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    remove the adjustment screw

then firmly grasp the threads about an 1/8" up from the bottom with my Knipex pliers to flatten a few threads. then reinstall the adjustment screw. The flattened threads hold in the tab and do not vibrate loose as the unit runs at low pressure. when it is set at low pressure the spring is not applying enough pressure on the threads to stop the screw from turning.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.