Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reillo 4 section Burnham boiler

Marilyn_4
Marilyn_4 Member Posts: 26
This morning I changed the filter, strainer, nozzle on the Reillo.

The burner has been going into safety mode about once a week. Pushing the reset has started it again right away. Filter and nozzle was dirty, strainer wasn't that bad.

Nozzle: .85 80B

Draft: -0.02 over the flame

-0.04 breech

Turbulator: 1

Air: 3 plus one line ;>)

0 smoke.

I had problems last winter and called Reillo. They gave me the settings and nozzle to use for this boiler. I adjusted the air this morning because it wasn't a good smoke test reading. I added air. If I bring the air back down I get a smoke reading.

Now it goes but cuts off after 2 or 3 times of lighting.

It's getting oil, air but no spark then goes into safety. There was oil on the edge of the pan...perhaps the air valve leaking.

Along the edge where the air chamber is screwed into the other metal part there was oil along the seam.

I found the cad cell eye had oil on it's connectors. I cleaned that off and changed the cad cell eye.

I adjusted the electrodes, once again, put everything back and it lit up.

Now I have smoke when it first starts (although the fire stops immediately when I turn it off) and it still goes into safety after a few lights.

When I remove and push the ignition box back on it fires but stops again after a few times lighting.

Any ideas on what to look for? Could it be the ignition box?

Marilyn

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Sounds like you might have a side spray nozzle.

What type of nozzle did you use?  I have no particular preference, but the Riello's seem to work best with Delavans.

It could have been a piece of debris or something causing part of the cone to not ignite or the nozzle may not be fully seated in the drawer assembly.  These primarys rarely go bad. 

Hard to tell with out looking at it.  Just some ideas. 

Good Luck.
  • seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    problem

It has been a few years since I have worked on oil  burners.....you may have a little too much air.....many times it is hard to get a 0 smoke reading,if you get a trace,and it is steady ,no rumbling,you may be ok. i would try cutting back on air,also check your electrode settings again. I have had good luck by upgading the transformer to electronic ones that have a higher voltage output,it helps with smooth ignition.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2010
    Burnham/Riello:

I can't decide if you are an oil burner technician or not.

From what you describe, there are other problems other than a nozzle. You must have equipment to have come up with those numbers.

That said, although many think that the Riello is the greatest thing to come along since free food at a cocktail party, I find them to be extremely difficult to diagnose and work on. If the only way to properly work on them is to take a course from The Dragon and purchase an expensive book to help, I put it in my "too complicated" category. I find that Riellos are as complex as old shell head burners. I think you have an adjustment issue. Unless you are there when it misfires, and you hear no spark, it is an adjustment issue.
  • Marilyn_4
    hear the click

But no ignition.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Clicks

You should hear the ignition on most burners long before the click. The click is the oil valve opening. Supposedly, it is rare for Riello transformers to fail. If it is weak, it may cause it to misfire. I believe that Riello transformers are DC. I don't know if you can jump one with a screw driver to see the strength of the spark. Are you sure that you know the sound of the spark?  
  • Marilyn_4
    Fixed!!!

It was a bad transformer/relay. Replaced it and it's running GREAT!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Marilyn
This discussion has been closed.