Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Problem Pinnacle, need some help

Shane_2
Shane_2 Member Posts: 194
Hello everyone, hope all is well. Haven't posted in quite a while.

I have a customer with a Peerless Pinnacle (PI-199, with P125 display module). At thanksgiving the customer had no heat. The boiler was displaying a F14 fault code which means combustion fan speed is too high(or wiring, or control board) . I spoke with Peerless tech support at that time who told me to test the fan by disconnecting the control wiring and observing the fan going to high speed. If the fan did this, the problem is in the board.

It took almost two weeks, but I obtained a new board(expensive). Tested the fan as instructed, replaced the board. Heat came on, stayed and observed for about 2 hours, installed surge protector for boiler (power surge to board most likely suspect at the time).

Fast forward, to this week (1 week with new board). Customer called no heat again, now heat stays on for 40-50 minutes, F14 fault code again.

Boiler is about three years old installed by another company (out of the picture now).

Does anyone have any experience with these boilers? Could anyone recommend a supplier for parts? Don't want to just replace parts, without identifying cause, but need to get heat on.

Thank You for your time

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Pinnacle

Isn't that a Munchkin from HTP?

Does it make strange noises when it is running? Is the exhaust blocked in any way like exhausting into bushes or any other type of obstructions?

Will it run any better with the cover off and not using outside air for combustion?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    RE; F14 error

Have you opened up combustion chamber and cleaned out, especially between the tubes at the bottom of the camber. Clean trap out etc, flamerod/electrode. If not, this could also be part or all of the problem.
  • Shane_2
    pinnacle

Icesailor: Yes, I checked the intake and exhaust. Pretty short run, clear, ran a few cycles with cover off, didn't seem any different. I do believe munchkin has same or similar control board, but I was told boards were specific based on BTU/fan speed.

Tim Smith: No, I did not check the combustion chamber/trap; did not think that would cause this fault code. Would have hoped factory tech support could have suggested this before my last trip, but no hard feelings toward Peerless. I adopted this boiler by force so to speak and this job is a little out of my service area to make things more interesting. Do you think think 1 1/2 winters could cause a problem with trap/chamber? central NJ by the way

Thank You very much for your help
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Re: 1.5 seasons of operation and dirty?

I tell all clients who have Giannoni style heat exchangers that they must clean once a year. Most we pull apart after a year are already very due for cleaning. I would go after this first as it is the most common problem and will be anyway if not now. You will find quite a bit of debris in bottom of heat x. Make sure to use old plastic (preferrably your wifes :) credit card to clean between the heat x tubes as they plug up. We find them 15 - 20 % blocked all the time. This would show up as air restriction also. Good luck, Tim
  • Shane_2
    Heat exchanger

Tim Smith:

Thanks for your input, I will try cleaning the heat exchanger before i attempt to obtain a new fan. I install Triangle Tube, this unit has been a good learning experience.
  • jovil99
    jovil99 Member Posts: 6
    Peerless Pinnacle F14 code...

Just a silly thought here...but if the F14 code says the blower is running faster than it should be...wouldn't the dirt in the system make it run slower...

I am working with a Pi-80 with an E14-F14 code as well...Peerless Tech says replace Combustion blower...big bucks and has about 1600 hours on it in less than 6 years....

Any isight is welcome...
  • jovil99
    E14/F14 Blower is running even on Stand-by

My unit is running just dandy while running...

BUT...it trips out with the E14 the F14 codes now and then on Stand-by (no call for heat).

keep in mind, the blower is also running while on Stand-by... 
  • icesailor
    Running Pinnicle:

Are you saying that the blower is running when there is no call for heat? That it runs all the time?

Call Tech Support at HTP. That's where it came from and they do a lot more of them than Peerless Pinnicle.
  • jovil99
    HTP?

Okay...so HTP can help me with my Peerless Pinnacle?

HTP as in Heat Transfer Products?   Please advise...
  • jovil99
    E14/F14....blower running...still

Sorry...YES...the combustion air blower continues to run even on Stand-by....when there is no call for heat.

It will run between mid-600's to as fast as 1600+ RPM...

The unit runs seemingly perfectly when there is a call for heat.

It may or may not fault-out with the F-14 fault code while on stand-by...and even then the blower will still run...  Usually the circulator will run when it does fault out.

The owner's manual says with the F14 fault code change blower and if that doesn't do it then change the control board too (which leaves only the combustion chamber/burner and the plastic box it is all nicely packaged in).

Thoughts...???
  • icesailor
    Pinnacles:

Pinnacles are Munchkins in a green beer cooler. Sounds like a bad brain or control. They are made by HTP. Does it have the 925 controller or the board?.
  • TMorg
    TMorg Member Posts: 23
    Pinnacle

Change the combustion blower if this continues after a good cleaning. first check that all wires are tightly connected. I have seen a few of these and the blower has been the problem.    
  • jovil99
    pinnacle well munchkin getting blower motor

Well...I am still stuck buying a part.  And the part is still several hundred bucks...but...

I am blessed with the option of using a Munchkin brand part for almost half the cost vs. the peerless brand part.

THANK YOU for the suggestion of HTP!  Their tech guy actually told me the HTP P/N that would be compatible/equivilent to the peerless blower...

Munchkin is both cheaper to buy AND I can actually get the stinking part.

I made a few calls and nobody has the peerless blower. 

I'm driving about an hour Sat. AM to pick up the HTP blower and again, at just about half the cost of the PB Heat part.

THANK YOU for your insight and patience!  I hope to be posting a sucessful repair sometime between lunch and dinner tomorrow.

P's 
  • jovil99
    blower motor job DONE!

Thank you for everyone's insight....ESPECIALLY icesailor!

HTP support was dead on!  They told me what HTP part I would need vs. the Peerless p/n.  I got their HTP part at almost half what the peerless would have cost AND I got it the next morning vs. I have no idea when I could have gotten the peerless part.

Install was a little tricky...but once you see the process to take it apart and go back together...it is pretty smooth.

She's running great now and the house is warm.

This is a great site with great insight!

Thank you!!!!!
  • icesailor
    Thanks for letting us know:

Thanks for letting us know of your success. Not everyone tells us here that their problem was resolved. We here also learn from you telling us you were successful. I had always heard that Pinnicle parts were cheaper from HTP/Munchkin and you confirmed it. And their Tech Support is very good. As you found out.
This discussion has been closed.