Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler

AJJK
AJJK Member Posts: 1
I have a steam boiler and the water tube on the side of the boiler is below the normal line and about 2 inches above the brass bottom.  There is a black knob at the top of the water guage.  Can I open this knob to fill the water back up to the normal fill line?  My boiler is about 3 years old and has an automatic shutoff if the water goes below the brass bottom.  If someone can give me instructions, I can probably get through it.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    those knobs do not control the water level

You need to find the feed valve for the boiler. It should be on a 1/2" pipe going into the return line on your boiler. Only add water slowly to a boiler. Adding water quickly to a hot boiler can crack the boiler. DO you know if you have an automatic feed for water? I am asking because a three year old boiler should have needed water before this time. Has someone else been maintaining the water level?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Oak Park Electric
    Oak Park Electric Member Posts: 54
    Water level

If you have not done anything with those "knobs" yet, don't.  They are valve handles that are only for service or emergency use, like a broken glass.  For normal operation, it is critical that they are left open (turned counterclockwise like a garden faucet).   The "water tube" is the gauge glass, you already know what it's for, and the automatic shutoff is your low water cutoff, it is there to keep the boiler from exploding.  If you haven't found the water fill valve yet, post a picture of the boiler and we'll point it out.  Charlie is right.  Don't add cold water to a hot boiler.  Turn the heat down and let it cool for a while if you can.  If you want to do some of your own system maintenance, get the steam books available in the 'shop' section here and learn how the system works before you turn anything other than the water fill.  Otherwise call a good heating guy.  Always think safety first.
This discussion has been closed.