Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thoughts on secondary high limit

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
So I have a chat with a Tech. for the local gas supplier. We talked about the city of Anchorage's requirement of a secondary high limit switch. For the life of me a can't ever remember seeing a primary one fail and water blowing out the relief.The gas guy says that in their inspections only do they mention it the enforced building code parts of town. Which leaves me wondering, if it's so important why doesn't the boiler Mfg. put them on?

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    edited December 2010
    Secondary Limits

Have you ever seen a simple L4006A or L4081 creep up over time ? A plugged pigtail ? Capillary tube not fully inserted in the well ? A short in a wire ? Anything man made will fail . It's just a matter of time.... Most secondary limits are manual reset types ... Buderus Logamatic controls have manual resets limits already built into them .. Most manufactures don't add them because they don't have to .It's a money thing. .. Parts of the country in the NorthEast enforce secondary limits.... ...

Just a thought....Most codes where added on the books after someone already died....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    I would embrace them

Dead or homeless customers seldom give good referrals or pay there bills. I never saw the value in fighting safety codes .
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Limit out of wack

I just dealt with a limit that decided to do it's own thing today. Just make sure they are in series and not parallel. I've seen that in a school no less they had the secondary limit but some idiot wired everything in parallel including a spill switch which kept the burner firing nonstop. Talk about a bomb waiting to explode.
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    They are very common in the New England.

A manual resetting high limit is extremely important.  Even in non-code enforced areas, I do it for piece of mind.  Buderus, Viessmann, HTP, and others are including it in there boiler control packages. 

Worth the effort.  It only takes one failure to ruin your business forever.
This discussion has been closed.