Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

to repipe or not to repipe

Options
We have a 1 pipe steam system in our home that delivers wonderful heat.  It has been pretty reliable and reasonably quiet. 

Despite that it seems to be running well, I know the near boiler piping is all wrong.   It does seem to be hard to keep the boiler clean, and I doubt it is running as efficiently as it can.  The boiler is a 7 year old EG-45 Weil Mclain that was installed by our gas company, and they simply did not follow the manufacturer's guidelines.  Can anyone help me decide if I should bite the bullet and repipe the boiler next spring, or not? 

The installer put in two 2" risers coming out of the boiler instead of one 2.5".  There are 3 primary problems that I know of:  1) the header is 2" instead of the required 2.5" minimum; 2) the two risers coming out of the header are between the two risers coming out of the boiler, and 3) the first 24" of the risers laving the header are copper (the header and the piping from the boilerto it are all steel).

2 pics are attached.  Everything is insulated very well, but I think you can get the jist of things.

Hope you all can help.  At least we are nice and warm.

pq

Comments

This discussion has been closed.