Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Installing Radiators in Basement

RonABC_2
RonABC_2 Member Posts: 24
I am completely re-doing the basement level apartment in a 3-unit apartment building.  Each of the 3 apartments has it's own gas hot water boiler/furnace.  The 3 boilers/furnaces are in the basement in a separate utility room.  The first floor and second floor apartments have cast iron radiators.  The basement level apartment used to have fin-type baseboard heat -- but I am changing that to cast iron radiator heat.  I bought 3 used cast iron radiators -- one for the basement level living room, one for the basement level bedroom, and one for the basement level bathroom.  I am doing the piping for that unit using a two-pipe reverse return system using copper pipe.

My question is about connecting the supply and return pipes and control valves to each of the three cast iron radiators.  The floor of the basement level apartment is poured concrete.  Since the radiators will be sitting on top of the concrete, the supply and return pipes for each radiator will be coming out of the wall rather than up through a floor.

How to I do the control valves and piping to each radiator?

One option I can think of is to raise each radiator up on blocks so the piping can be run to connect to each control valve from the bottom.  The only other option I can think of is to turn the control valves down 90 degrees so they are horizontal instead of vertical, and connect the pipe coming out of the wall straight into the bottom of each valve (which will now be facing the wall rather than the floor).

Both of these options seem a little odd to me, but I don't know what else to do since the supply and return pipes will be coming out of the wall rather than up through the floor.

What do people usually do with this type of setup for basement level cast iron radiators? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Comments

• Ron

No big deal,,, are you using TRV`s, or regular valves & a stat?
  • RonABC_2

I wasn't planning on using thermostatic radiator valves.  My plan was to have one main wall-mounted thermostat for the apartment and a regular control valve on each of the three radiators.  But, I am open to doing whatever would make the most sense to do and whatever would be best for the future tenants who will be living in the apartment.
  • RonABC_2

Just to follow up....,

Duh, I just figured out that I can buy straight radiator valves (instead of angle radiator valves) to do the job.  That should solve the questions that I had about how to do the connections.

The only other question I have is what type of straight radiator valves to get.  It's a hot water radiator system.  I see some straight radiator valves that say they are gate valves.  Is that what I should be getting -- a gate valve?  Or, are there regular straight radiator valves that are not gate valves that I should be getting?  I'll also try asking at whichever plumbing supply place I go to to buy the valves.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    The gate style

are for steam, the gasket( globe) style are for hot water only. You may want to put a valve on both side to make it easier if a radiator has a leak. Also across the bottom is most effective for heating. I have seen people attach in the top and out the bottom to save the pipe and they reduce the heating capacity of the radiator.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • RonABC_2

Thanks.  I'll get the gasket (globe) type and not gate valves, and they will be going on the bottom.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    VALVES

Why not use ball valves.   positive shut off with no problems.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    Ball valves

do not come with those nice radiator spuds and unions.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    valves

good point charlie.  unless he wants to pipe 'em solid ! lol   how ya been. bob young from nyc
  • RonABC_2
    Gate valve for hot water radiator?

Charlie from wmass wrote, "The gate style are for steam, the gasket (globe) style are for hot water only."

Unfortunately, the person that I have who is connecting up the three cast iron radiators in my basement bought three straight gate style valves instead of straight gasket (globe) style valves.  Is it okay to just use three gate style valves for the hot water system, or will that be a problem?
This discussion has been closed.