Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water level keeps dropping

Options
I've been watching the sight glass on my boiler and it is about 1/4 of the way up. In the past it always remained around the half way point. I add water and several days later it drops back down. What is going on?

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Start a log book

and write down exactly how much you add, when you add it.  Do you have burried returns?  When the boiler is running, Go outside and look at the smoke stack, do you see any white smoke?  Is there any rooms in the house that seem more humid than the rest?
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Leak ?

Hi- What Crash is saying is you probably have a leak somewhere.

- Rod
  • Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    edited December 2010
    Options
    or a silent helper

Any chance someone else touches the boiler? Someone could be doing the weekly LWCO blowdowns.

I'm guessing it's more likely to be a leak. As someone else recently posted, it's important to keep in mind that the signs of a steam leak often differ from those of a water leak. Look for white powdery residue.

Also, I recently had a main vent get stuck open. That caused the boiler to lose water. The smell of the steamed underflooring was my first clue. You might want to hang out in the boiler room next time yours cycles on.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• sweetlou
    sweetlou Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Leak

Thanks for the suggestions! I found a leak on one of the radiators. It is right beyond the valve (not the vent). There is a slow drip. I attempted to tighten the nut and it didn't budge. I turned off the valve until I can get someone out here to fix it. Oddly the radiator is still heating up (not as much as normal) and there are some gurgling sounds. 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    steam valve union leak

sometimes that nut can be turned while gently rocking the radiator. make sure that valve is fully open, or it may collect water in it.--nbc
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    better to ...

catch the dripping water and leave the valve open until you get that union tightened .. that gurgling you hear is water trying to get out of a rad that is getting steam but no drainage. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • sweetlou
    sweetlou Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Question

I had someone out to  tighten the union and it is still leaking. He said he could replace the valve for $500 or I could try to put something around it (J&B Weld). Here is a link to the product (http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php). Is this the best product or do you recommend another fix? Thanks
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Put on epoxy for high heat

Put on  epoxy for high heat. I did that and it works
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    leaking union

usually the union joint is not hard to get sealed once again after disconnection--that's why they make them! it is possible that the pipe itself has sunk a bit and needs to be jacked up, in order to get the mating faces square enough to be leak-free when the nut is tightened. those mating faces also should be wiped clean, maybe with a scotch pad to make sure no foreign matter is trapped between the mating faces. i doubt that a new valve is needed, although a new pipe-fitter maybe.

do you know what your pressure is, as the leak could be from the steam having more moxie than it should.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.