Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflow tee system

I have a customer with two story mono-flow system.  The system is all one zone.  The customer is putting an addition on the house and would like to add a separate zone off the boiler.  My concern is that the separate zone might create a flow issue when both zone are calling for heat.  Or do i tell them to re-pipe the whole the system in primary- secondary or any other piping options.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Why not

leave the existing monoflow zone on it's own pump and add another pump for the new zone?  I'd pipe the new zone 2-pipe instead of monoflow, no?

And if the new addition is a small heating load, definately add primary-secondary to keep the boiler happy when only the smaller zone is calling for heat.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    we have

had good sucess using Dans book HOW COME. if you can pipe the new zone right from the boiler  and you have a good air seperator you should be OK.

lets see what others have to say  
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Monoflow systems:

I've seen more mixed monoflow/ series loop systems in older houses where I work than any other piping systems around.

Just make the new zone a separate zone.

I've never seen one not work. The biggest problem I ever saw with them is that the added circulator was wired direct and didn't start the burner.
This discussion has been closed.