Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensation problem in Inducer blower housing on RUUD 90%

Tom_68
Tom_68 Member Posts: 3
My in laws have a 90 Ruud Model UGRA 10 EZAJS serial EH5D707F339807773 that they tell me keeps turning on and off.  What I found out is occasionally, the induced draft blower will start up on a call for heat,  then kick off on pressure switch.  It will repeat this cycle until it fires up.  It doesn't do this enough to cause a drop in temp in their home,  but they are concerned. If you look at the board, it diagnosis the prob as pressure switch.  I am finding a lot of water in the IDM housing and I see where the housing connects to the Y going to the exhaust pipe, a little drip.  I have taken out the motor from the housing and examined all the fins on the blade and saw it was tight on the shaft; I have checked the pressure switches, both open and close like they should.  I believe that the water in the bottom of the housing is going into the tube to the pressure switch cutting it off. I checked that little tube, the tube going from the heat exchanger to the other pressure switch, no obstructions. I checked and cleaned out the condensate lines coming off the heatexchanger and the exhaust Y and cleaned and checked out the trap and the condensate pump.  No blockages..  then next day there is more water in the housing. It does not have a supply of fresh air; the contractor didn't add one so it is just taking in room temp. air.  Any suggestions on where and how I can get rid of this water?  There is no drain at the bottom of the housing, just the pressure switch tube.  I checked the IDB motor, running at the right amperage; the capacitor is good as well.  The switch is doing what it is supposed to do,  but I don't know how to take care of it.

Comments

• seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2010
    problem

those tubes coming off of the inducer must be checked,and possibly shortened,so that there is no trap to allow water to accumulate. You also need to check the installation instructions on the condensate trap going from the furnace to the drain. check drain lines,or if it goes into a pump,make sure the pump is working,and the outlet piping from pump is clear.also check the installation instructions on the vent pipe and make sure no obstructions,and that it is pipeper instructions,and that it does not exceed the specified maximum length...
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    condensate drains

Make sure all the ports and hoses are open and connected properly. As stated above be sure there are no sags in hoses that can cause trapping of water. One thing that several manufacturers started using is a tee turned upwards where the condensate enters the trap. This allows air to escape so that it doesn't prevent the water from trickling into the trap.CHECK THE INSULATION MANUAL TO BE SURE THE TUBING IS CORRECT FOR THE WAY THE FURNACE IS POSITIONED. If it is set up  for horizontal and set vertical or vise virsa that will cause problems.
This discussion has been closed.