Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Friction/Head Loss thru Heat Exchanger

Plumdog_2
Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
Has anyone determined what difference, if any, there might be between pumping requirements for the various boiler brands using the Gionnani heat exchanger? I guess I'm curious if the different brands have different friction/head loss thru the manifolding and heat exchanger due to the way they are assembled. Some install manuals specify higher head pumps than others; and I guess I'm wondering if this is a CYA on thier part?   

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,824
    I suspect

there are many versions used. I remember seeing the Gionnani booth at ISH a few years ago, they had dozens of different HXers on display.

But I think you are correct in the over sizing fudge factor. I have one of the earliest Knights 80K's and it has been running happily with a Grundfos 15-58 on mid speed, even when it kicks up to DHW priority.

I do have it connected to a large bore indirect coil, I'm sure that helps.

Reminds me of the old copper tube battle cry "you need a bigger pump"

hr

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited December 2010
    This ain't your grandpas Gianonni any more....

I am simply amazed and stunned with the technological advances of hydronic combustion heat sources. I met a gent named Hans Presel of Germany 35 years ago that had a "Heat Box" that would cut the energy consumption of any load by a minimum of 30%, just due to the burner/heat exchanger efficiency. He wanted me to help him install one in a hotel near my home town, and I turned him down because it didn't have the right approvals, and so on and so forth. He installed it himself. Reduced the hotels energy consumption by 40%.

Check out what their other heat exchanger designs look like. I like the Fat Boy to the left of the screen.

http://www.giannoni.fr/products.php

These are some amazing, exciting times :-)

BTW, I'm pretty sure I've seen the PD charts on their web site someplace.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.