Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Corrosion Cancer

Options
I have a 5 year old Crown boiler hooked into a 1930's single pipe distribution system, gas fired.  I have located a pinhole leak in one of my radiators that is discolored and is obviously caused by internal corrosion.  I have also had 3 pinhole corrosion-related leaks in a long stretch of line and an extremely corroded part of the pipe close to the boiler.  Is the corrosion like a cancer that once started, can't be stopped?  I am very concerned that a pipe may spring a leak inside of a wall or floor and cause some major damage.  My questions are 1) what is the easiest and best way to repair these leaks, 2) is there any way to prevent or slow further corrosion, 3) is my relatively new boiler at any risk due to this corrosion?  Thank you in advance for any advice.    

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Contact Gerry Gill

Hi- Without actually seeing it, it's pretty hard to advise you which way to go. Generally the pipes that have standing condensate (water) are the most ;likely to develop problems and the best fix is to just replace them. Since I gather you are in Cleveland, you're in luck. Gerry Gill, one of the best steam pros in the country is situated there.

His phone/ website is: http://www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/

I'd contact him and have him take a look at your steam system.

- Rod
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    risk of rust?

as rod has said, the pipes below the waterline of the boiler are at greatest risk for corrosion, and are usually easily replaced. the steam supply pipes are longest-lived because all of the oxygen has been driven out by the steam.

there can be some problems, known as condensate grooving, with the steam supply pipes; wherein prolonged exposure to high pressure, with bad main [not radiator] venting causes the formation of carbonic acid which dissolves the very bottom of the pipe. yet another reason to check your venting, and keep your pressure low!

generally cast iron radiators are very rust resistant, but perhaps there was a manufacturing defect which provided a weak spot for the rust to do its thing.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.