Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venturi Tee system

mike1075
mike1075 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2 family house with a venturi system, the venturi covers the 1st and the 2nd floors, on the same zone.  I have another zone with a baseboard loop for my finished basement and a 3rd zone for the hot water heater.  I have a honeywell thermostat with a sensor attached, which is located on the 2nd floor, so I can tell the temperature up there. There is a difference of temperatures between the 1st floor and 2nd floor of about 6 or 7 degrees.  My question is, how can I get better heat on the 2nd floor, do I need a faster circulator pump? The radiators are all bled throughout, its usually about 72-74 degrees on the 1st floor and 66-68 on the 2nd floor. Thanx

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Second Floor

Mike, what kind of radiation do you have? Free standing cast iron , recessed , baseboard,

fin tube?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mike1075
    mike1075 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    second floor

I have Sun Rad- radiators(cast iron), partly recessed into the wall. Both on the 1st floor and the 2nd floor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Venturi System:

So I understand, is the first and second floor on the same zone? Like only one thermostat running both floors? If so, is it piped in the cellar so that the second floor main can be separated from the first?. If it is all on one zone, it may be because the person who calculated the heat loss figured no insulation in the second floor ceiling and none in the first floor which is correct, But later, the second floor ceiling may have been heavily insulated making the radiation way over sized on the second floor.  The second floor needs to be on its own zone.  
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Sunrad

Mike, Those are beautiful radiators. I don't think it's a pump problem, it sounds more like a balance problem. First I would look at the windows on the 2nd. floor and the insulation in the attic. Second I would try restricting the air flow through the Sunrads on the first floor in particular near the thermostat. You can do that with cardboard and duct tape under the radiators, you won't see it and there is no cost. The idea is by reducing output on the first

floor the system will stay on longer giving the second floor longer to heat up. Good luck.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.