Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

main vent doesn't close

Options
Brian_74
Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
Last night one of the Hoffman 75s on my main vent menorah wouldn't close. It passes the blow test (sealed when held in the normal position; allows air to pass upside-down). I just installed the vent last season. It was NOS, but I didn't think vents had parts that aged on the shelf.

I'm thinking that this is not the kind of problem that simmering in vinegar fixes and that I should just get another one. Does that seem right?

I'd like to try a Gorton #2. I was among the folks who got a passel of the bad ones last season. Does anyone know if the problem has been solved? I thought I remember reading over the summer that Gorton had fixed the problem, but I couldn't find the posting.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    problem vent

sometimes the vents can be kept open by high pressure from a clogged pigtail. it may be still good. what is your exact maximum pressure [not the setting of the pressuretrol]?--nbc
  • Brian_74
    Brian_74 Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Thanks, Nicholas.

I've added the gauge that everyone here recommends, and it doesn't go past 6oz/in2.

I took one of the vents off of the return main and put it where this one was, and it seems to be working as it should (i.e., it closes before letting steam out).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.