Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Approximating the age of my boiler

Gravyfries
Gravyfries Member Posts: 19
Hello all,

I am trying to estimate the age of my American Standard boiler.  I don't see a serial number but I do have the following info:

Series:  4B-J2

Boiler: GPH-135

In the limited light I have, I don't see a serial number.  The boiler is a sort of tan color on the body and has a lighter color on the front door.   All references to the boiler refer to American Standard Plumbing Heating Division.  Also,  it mentions American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corporation, NY 18, NY.

Repairmen have stated that the boiler appears to be around 30-35 years old and is around 60% efficient.  Actually 2 repairmen have said that while one said 50% and another said 70%. 

Thanks!

Ray

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited December 2010
    Pre 1963....

5 digit zip codes have been around since1963, so it is at least 47 years old.

Efficiency is an elusive thing. Combustion efficiency is one thing, seasonal efficiency is another.

It wold most probably be a worthwhile proposition to replace it from an energy savings point of view.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Only 47?

Why would you want to replace that? Just because it dates from the era preceding the Beatles,Civil rights,Vietnam? That era when heating oil was .15c/gallon? If it's 47 or 57 or 67,what's the difference? It's well overdue,unless you enjoy paying $3.25/ gallon for heating oil?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Why would you want to replace that?

My old boiler was almost as old when I replaced it. A G.E. boiler. I had its original downdraft burner replaced with a Beckett regular burner when parts were no longer available for the original. THe becket fired into a former inspection window. The exhaust was still out of the bottom. I diddled the aquastat (the operating one, not the safety one) so it operated between 130 and 140F to keep the floors cooler. I imagine this resulted in some condensing as it rusted out the smokepipe every 5 to 10 years. But after 55 years, the boiler did not leak and steam did not come out of the chimney. So it was "still good." Oil was $0.40/gallon when I got this house in 1976, but it is more now. I had a 1000 gallon tank in the ground and I wanted it out of there before it started to leak. I was too late. So now I have a gas-fired mod|con with an indirect hot water heater instead of the electric one I had before. If all winters had the same number of degree days, this one is cheaper to run by quite a bit.
  • Gravyfries
    edited December 2010
    I have natural gas

Actually I'm getting it replaced next week with a more efficient model.  I have natural gas and don't like a stuffy house so the bills haven't been too bad.  The boiler itself hasn't really had problems other than the things that bolt on to it (i.e. pump, thermocouples, etc but I figured it was time.  
  • Gravyfries
    Beacon Books

I checked the Beacon books online here and it shows up in the 1959-1972 version (not the pre 1959).  The only thing I can think of is that they had some leftover address tags that they slapped on until they ran out.  I found that American Standard removed the dash around 1968 so I would imagine that mine falls somewhere between 1959-1968 as a rough estimate.  Given some of the other boilers I've seen online maybe it falls closer to the mid to late 60's.  I doesn't look that old to be quite honest.  Thanks all!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    late 60's early 70's

The last American Standard boiler made before Burnham bought them out. This boiler became the early "V" series. Update the burner, and they do run better if you decide to keep it going
This discussion has been closed.