Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Phase 3 rated for steam ?

Ron Jr._3
Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
Have a job where a Phase 3 ( installed by others ) is connected to a steam boiler ( installed by us in 2004 ) , and is heating up 2 zones of radiant and a zone of baseboard . The boiler side of the indirect keeps getting airbound . No leaks that I could see ( isolated the tank and filled with street pressure water on the boiler side . Was wondering if this was the best choice for the application ( tank in tank design and alot of the tank is above the boiler water line .

Thanks in advance . Gonna post a pic of this setup in the ugly system competition .

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Re: rating on Phase 3

Ron, I think those have a max rating of 210 which would be exceeded if connected to a steam boiler?? I would be a bit concerned about that. Tim
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    does the

1. phase 3 have an automatic air vent?

2.how is the pipeing conected to the boiler (bypass, thermonoter,)?

3.do you have flow control checks on both S&R.
  • Steve_210
    sorry

the bad spelling.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    actually... It does.

there is an air vent on the top of those phase3 indirect. Should be closed. probably fix the issue.
  • Steve_210
    it can

still suck air even when closed. i would valve it off. also needs 2 flow checks to keep water up there. it also needs to be piped properly (with by pass) to stop water from flashing to steam.  
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    This is why

I use super stor tanks. You will need to add a manual valve and force the water to fill the boiler side. It will eventually get air bound again though. Pumping towards the tank will help. also I think with the pressure differential between the domestic side and boiler side exceeds the requirements of the manufacturer.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    edited December 2010
    Thanks guys

There was a 1/2 drain threaded into the top of the tank . Gotta purge it there too because there's alot of air trapped at the top if you only purge the piping itself . There was a flow check on the supply pipe only . But the supply was piped into the Burnham V8 well below the normal water line ( theres a dedicated tapping for an indirect or zone of heat ) . The return into the front lower left tapping . Piped Superstor Contenders the exact same way in the past with zero problems . They are coil indirects though ...   
This discussion has been closed.