Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex or copper

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
we use copper pipe in nyc.now i just moved out to long island where the plumbers are using pex for water distribution.i was talking to a plumber out here and he was saying how much quicker and cost effective it is.i asked him did he drop his prices ,his reply was no and if the customer wants copper in there house they have to pay extra.what do you guys think,is this right ,i for one have a problem with it,maybe imbeing naive though

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    pricing

We usually do not discuss price here, but what you are asking is not about actual pricing. If a plumber is charging for copper and installing PEX, he is being dishonest with his customer. By "dropping your price", if he said no but meant that his labor rate is the same, by the hour, and his markup is standard to his business plan, then he is being honest and fair to everyone involved.

PEX is much easier to install, is less costly and is normally done for a lesser price.Copper is time consuming and very costly material. Pricing your work properly and using properly set mark ups is just good business. Profit is not a dirty word if it is honestly derived. Talk to that plumber again. I bet he's doing it right.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Paid for what you Want

I agree with Al , copper piping would come in higher then a pex job . Copper has a higher cost and more time consuming... Let's go back when red brass piping was replaced with copper . I am sure the change of common practice was caused by the same issue.

What ever type of piping you prefer , Brass, copper pex or even Gold you should have the choice to pay for it .. Imagine gold piping ? That would be the only job "Time free plus materials "... Just give me the scrap LOL

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.