Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multifamily thermostat question

Osborn
Osborn Member Posts: 31
I am heating a 3 unit building from a central Triangle Tube solo 175 boiler.  I'm looking for a way to give the tenants some choice but not the choice of 80 24/7...

Can I purchase a thermostat that would have an upper limit?  Is there another option? 

Or is a better solution to keep the apts at 71 during the day 67 at night with sensors. 

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    three families, one stat

Your best bet is a thermostat located in a locked space with sensors in each apartment. The negative side is that tenants don't always like the same temp levels, and they quickly learn how to fool the sensors, so it can still be a hastle.

Without separate zones or some repiping with TRVs, you are dealing with an age old problem of how to please all the people all the time. Good luck
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    RE: multi family and control

I agree with Al, single thermostat that they don't have control over, I would add thermostatic controlled valves to it and then they can each prevent overheating. You may want to look into a thermostat that you can control over the internet? Good luck.
  • Osborn
    Osborn Member Posts: 31
    trvs

Thanks for the thoughts.

I do have two zones,  back and front of the railroad apt, walls are open... 

What is the cost of those valves? 
This discussion has been closed.