Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate neutralizer

J_W_P
J_W_P Member Posts: 4
My supply house sells condensate neurtalizers for mod/con boilers for between $75 and $100.  What a joke!  What I am buying is 13 dollars of PVC pipe and fittings filled with rocks. What are people using for the neutralizing agent in your homemade kits?  The one I bought had calcium carbonate rocks (which i cannot find locally).  Would marble chips work?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Yes

Absolutely!
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    marble chips a good idea

what we do is get a 12 inch piece of pvc and cap both ends.then drill and tap for a 3/4 male adaptor on both ends.i think we used gravel one time,.marble chips sounds good though.amazing what people can charge for
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    1-1/2 pvc drum trap

fill it with calcite. Calcite is available at any plumbing supply that sells water conditioning equipment. Just fill the trap up to the crown and screw in the plug.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Calcium Carbonate

Limestone, marble and calcite are all forms of calcium carbonate so any one of them will work to neutralize condensate.

Plain gravel is just crushed rock so it will not neutralize an acid
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    But

The only problem is many inspectors won't accept homemade neutralizers since you cant supply performance data, specifications or MSDS sheets.
This discussion has been closed.