Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting radiant to baseboard

Options
Irish
Irish Member Posts: 2
New here so Thanks in advance!  Bought a 50 year old house with radiant heat in walls, half of the house doesn't work properly and several valves are turned off marked (do not open). So I want to use existing trunk lines and add new copper to feed new baseboard heaters. I know I'll have to figure heat loss to figure footage on baseboard per room. I'll also be installing new ball valves on manifolds to add the new copper lines to. The existing trunk lines are 1-1/4" black iron. Is there any thing I need to do different to make this work? Also I want to keep the bathroom radiant because it still works well.  I have a gas forced air furnace also so time is not a problem.  Thanks Irish

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Ambiguous questions...

is probably why no one responded to this. You're not making a whole lot of sense.

You say you've got radiant in the walls. What kind of radiant? Imbedded tube in plaster? A recessed convector?

You say you want radiant in the bathroom. Don't you already have radiant there? Walls floors ceilings? What is there?

Have you opened the valves that say DO NOT OPEN yet? As long as they aren't leaking water, it may just be a simple balancing job to increase comfort without having to tear things apart.

Adding baseboard heat is going to completely change the dynamics of the house to the point that you will not be comfortable walking from a zone with radiant into a zone with base board convectors. Your body will know the difference, and it isn't going to be comfortable. I'd recommend trying to fix what you've got instead of trying to build a whole new wheel.

Is the distribution system one pipe or two pipe?

You've got lots of homework to do before you will get resolution...

Welcome to one of the best, largest, unpaid hydronic resources in the world. Be sure and buy some books or something to help the host pay the significant costs of operation at this web site.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.