Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell aquastat setpoint temperature shift?

LarryC
LarryC Member Posts: 331
Greetings,

My hot water boiler uses a Honeywell triple aquastat L8124L.  I was observing its operation last night and noticed that the setpoints idicated don't seem to agree with the existing temperature / pressure gauge.

I heard the safety valve vent.  I had previously added some water so I wasn't too concerned about the valve lifting.  When I went down to investigate, the temp / press gauge was reading about 210 F and about 10 psi.  I noticed one air vent was making noise like it was releasing air.  The high limit was set to 180 F, differential to 20 F and the tankless limit was set to 140 F.  I turned off power to the burner and let the thermostat call for heat cool down the boiler to about 180 F.

Because the pressure / temp gauge was reading around 210 F and the air vent was releasing gas, I believe the gauge is accurate.  <strong>VALID ASSUMPTION ???</strong>

Assuming the gauge is correct, I set the high limit to 170 F. and turned the burner back on.  Watching the boiler thru a couple of cycles and the burner turn off point is about 185 F and the turn on point is 170 F.  As I understand the operation of the L8124L, the burner should turn off at 170 F and turn on at 170 -20 = 150 F during a call for heat.  <strong>IS THIS STATEMENT CORRECT ??</strong>

What could cause this behavior?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I would

Check the control sensing bulb to make sure it is bottoming out in control well. The more they are out of the well, the less accurate they are
This discussion has been closed.