Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Charlotte CPVC Pipe

MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
Would anyone know if Charlotte Chemdrain Schedule 40 CPVC would be ok to use for a Munchkin T80? In HTP'S Install manual, they mention that the approved CPVC sch 40 or sch 80 pipe and fittings meet the ANSI/ASTM F441, but Charlotte Chem drain CPVC is listed under NSF-cw- F2618, & it has a temp rating of 220 degrees. Thanks for any input guys.

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I believe

Charlotte's technical manual on all the pipe clearly states that none of their pipe is tested as a means of removing flue gases and that you need to follow the manufacturers guidelines. Personally I would find a CPVC that is ULC-S636 rated such as I-Pex or see if you can use ULC-S636 Polypropelene which is less expensive than the CPVC.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • MikeyB
    CPVC

Thanks Chris, HTP recommends (for USA use)  PVC schedule 40 or schedule 80, and CPVC schedule 40 or schedule 80 for use on their Munchkin Boiler, Ill keep an eye open for CPVC with the ASTM listing that HTP recommends, although I think that is easier said than done with finding  CPVC with the ASTM listing that they want, thanks again
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    CPVC

There was a discussion about this at aVeisman class I went to recently.

According to what "I" understand, you can use all the Sch 40 PVC on all the intske lines you want. But you MUST use Sch 40 or 80 CPVC on the exhaust. There are other approved materials for the exhaust but availibility could be an issue. My supplier stocks Sch 80 CPVC only. That's my choice.

I understand in Canada, there is no discussion. No PVC Only CPVC.

As I understood the discussion. 
  • MikeyB
    edited November 2010
    CPVC

Thanks ice, I heard pretty much the same at Knight class I was at that a Manufacturer's Rep was holding, HTP also mentions the use of Foam Core on the intake only, but not on the exhaust of course. I wonder why Munchkin boilers have a CPVC starter piece on the exhaust along with a rubber "Fernco" coupling?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    vent material

In Canada, one needs to use ULC636 certified PVC or CPVC pipe depending on the manufacturers certified instructions. In Canada, Knight, HTP and all Genonni based boilers are fine with ULC636 PVC pipe as stated in their certified instruction manual. Most manufacturers refer to the pressure pipe standard of PVC and CPVC and not the drainage standards.

Henry

Voting member, CSA B149
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Henry

What influenced Canada to going to a vent stardard for plastic pipe? Why did Canada feel that this rating was necessary? What testing data was done on standard PVC Sch 40 to mandate that it cannot be used in Canada?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • icesailor
    CPVC/Canada:

Chris,

Canada has a government and a consumer mentality that looks out for the safety of the consumer and not the profits of big business when it comes to public safety.

Were you around for the Plex-Vent fiasco? I saw that coming from the start and no one in the USA said a thing. In fact, opposition was threatened. Not so in Canada. It was outlawed as soon as they found the stuff coming apart and the clips rusting off. There have been other things that Canada took the lead in where we followed like sheep while US companies denied and waited for the warranties to run out. They we and the customers were on their own.

In Canada, that rated PVC is somehow rated for a much higher temperatures than standard DWV pressure pipe. I always wondered about how some PVC exhaust vents I put on direct power vented water heaters were turning orange and the glue got all weird. I first heard about this because the Canadians outlawed it. The USA is no longer the leading edge of technology. We have turned that over to the Asians and Europeans. Safety to the Europeans and the Canadians.

That's also why I carry a UGI pocket C02 detecter in my pocket when I go into houses where gas equipment is located. One can't be too safe. I will only die once. I'm not ready yet.As a pediatric cancer survivor, I'm going for a record.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Vent piping

For several years, I blocked several provinces from banning ABS pipe. Our code stated that the pipe had to be certified. ABS, PVC and CPVC are all certified pipes. ABS has actualy a higher temperature rating than PVC, 217 deg F before it starts to soften. Ontario's TSSA pushed through the ULCS636 standard for venting by claiming that a manufacturer had met the standard and had the pipe available. They did make the standard but had no pipe that was certified and it did not have CSA certified identification. They took a standard sch40 PVC pipe, changed the dye colour, had new markings and voila, a ULCS636 aprooved pipe. Nowhere else in the World does this ULCS636 standard apply. It does not make the World any safer. The only failure that we have ever had, and that was one and only one, was due to negligence by our employe for not using new glue. All of our installers are reminded to use a fresh can of glue for EVERY vent job.A can of glue is cheap compared to a CO accumulation!

Now for those that claim that Al29-4C is the gift from god for venting, you  are mistaken. We have had more leaks with this material than any other combined! The caps leak. The 45 leak. The Tee leak. And it is usaly a few months down the road when that happens.During certain periods of the year, we buy over $100K of this stuff per month. We keep a lot of spares just in case. We never had this problem when using Sch 10 304 S/S welded pipe.

Henry
  • icesailor
    Warm Fuzzies:

Henry,

It gives me the warm fuzzies to know that the manufacturers are so looking out for the our safety and our customers. When they can hire a testing company to certify results they pay for on a major change in design of their product.

The major change being a different color dye in the resin and another color in the ink they use to mark the pipe so we and inspectors know it meets their newly enacted standards.

makes you proud and confident, eh?
This discussion has been closed.