Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Request for Comments: SlantFin

Options
jpf321
jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
After my recent SlantFin Intrepid install and some of the problems I faced, I've been invited to meet with some folks at their plant to discuss possible improvements to their product, manual or anything else.

To that end, I'd like to see if anyone else has anything they want to pass along to SlantFin through me. If so, please <strong>CONTACT ME DIRECTLY: </strong><a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum/contact/5499218/jpf321">http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum/contact/5499218/jpf321</a>

Considerations may include:

+ ordering process,

+ delivery time,

+ installation,

+ I&O Manual,

+ what you do differently from their manual and why?

+ burner options, configurations

+ wiring/wiring instructions,

+ performance,

+ sizing/ratings

+ maintenance,

+ troubleshooting,

+ sooting,

+ jacket design,

+ tankless

+ etc.

Please limit comments to their Intrepid/Liberty (Steam) line of boilers. 

You will remain anonymous, as I will be your voice.

If you want to send pictures, please let me know in your contact note and I will reply with a way to get them to me.

<strong>I don't intend for this thread to be a public bashing. DO NOT POST COMMENTS HERE, SEND THEM TO ME DIRECTLY: <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum/contact/5499218/jpf321">http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum/contact/5499218/jpf321</a> Please only pass along CONSTRUCTIVE thoughts, ideas, criticisms, suggestions or improvements. </strong>

Because this thread SHOULD be lacking activity, I may bump it a couple of times before my meeting.
1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics

Comments

• Feedback is aways a good thing,

and I`m sure S/F will be very accommodating to your suggestions, if your installer "qualifications" are in order. :-).  
  • jpf321
    edited November 2010
    Options
    a quick note...

about that .. they know who I am, they know I'm not an installer but rather an avid enthusiast, one of the main NYC S/F sales guys has even been to my house. and I have shown up on their doorstep before, but never before with an invitation.

Perhaps they realize that since I'm *actually* interested in this stuff rather than having it be a JOB for MONEY, that I have a different perspective. And because I have actually read their manual and done hours and hours of my OWN research rather than accept what my local supply house sold me or had a deal on, and maybe because I'm actually excited to go and chat with them.

They are at least willing to listen, they can take it or leave it once I walk out the door, because, yes, there are far more "qualified" people who have done many more installs. But how many actually get it right? And take the time to make it, as perfect as it can get?

The PROs which contribute on the Wall are rare gems. There are perhaps 10-20 regular PROs here (including the lurkers) .. compare that to the tens-of-thousands of PROs in the industry and you realize just how many knuckleheads there are.

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

• "Knuckleheads"

I`m very sure you will be heard,,,, Slant Fin is a great company that helps all professionals(or otherwise).

Indeed, most who contribute on the Wall are "rare gems",, however there are some who choose not to post,,, I don`t think that anyone should consider them "knuckleheads" !
  • jpf321
    Options
    i editted my post...

before your reply .. to include the lurkers here .. nor should it be assumed that anyone who doesn't visit HH.com be a knuckle ..

and frankly, i'm not sure what the percentage is of non-knuckle to knuckle .. but I know that I can count 15-20 companies who's trucks are seen in my area .. of the ones that I have met (about 7 of them), I have yet to meet any non-knuckles.

• Missed your editing,,,,

But OK,,,, I am NOT a lurker,,, I post as I see fit.

It seems you trash anyone who does not provide the answers you want to hear(based on Wall experience),,, percentage of trucks you see?, well who would know who these companies might hire!

You seem to be basing every steam-problem described on yours,,,, I only wish it was that easy. 
  • jpf321
    Options
    in what way exactly..

did I offend you?

i didn't coin the term knucklehead, why am I being singled out. your comments are not at all within the spirit of helping. and that's what this website, and this thread is supposed to be about.

i am only trying to help, learn and educate. if my suggestions or comments in the past have been wrong or misinformed, please point them as necessary. i feel that i have been enriched by my interaction on the wall, and perhaps have enriched others. i post from my experiences, isn't that what we all do?

i've trashed no one ever on this forum. instead I have thanked, offered help, even visited a few folks on my time.

i don't even fault anyone for having bad habits or practices, i just don't have to hire them. you called me out on my quals, i've never hid the fact that I am not a pro, i was only trying to offer a means for people to offer comments if they wanted.

if you simply just don't like me, fine. you don't have to. but what's with all this carrying on about semantics. respond if you feel the need, i will not continue this babble, on this thread.

• No offense meant,

and I understand you did not coin the term knucklehead.

True, this website is about helping people with their problems, but to discount anyone who may choose not to post and refer to them as "knuckleheads" because they do not tell you specifically what you want to know seems unfair.

I have nothing against you, so I`m sorry you are taking-it that way.
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Thank You for all your under the talble Heating Help

Thanks jp for your interest, enthusiasm, and professional advice free to all. I take a tid bit away from this site each time I read a thread. I learn something new each time I reread Dan's books. I to will be able to put in a new system someday, I am logging all the treads I find useful. I thank you for your spreadsheets, and I thank all the Pros on here. You are a professional just in a different field, keep up the good work.
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • jpf321
    Options
    perhaps you read....

something in my post one way that raised some hackles .. it was not my intention to label all non-wallies (contributing or not) as knuckles .. in fact I specifically said that in my following reply. on the contrary, I was trying to point out what a wonderful resource the wall is .. but I can see how things could get misread or misinterpreted.

my apologies to all non-knuckles everywhere if my intentions were unclear or misinterpreted.

--------------------------------------------------------------

on another note, thanks to those thus far that have sent me pass-alongs for SlantFin.

funny .... a few months ago, i was joking with my business partner about how getting a meeting with such and such NYC official (at our level) would be like asking someone else (at a higher level) to have a sit down with Mike Bloomberg .. as fate would have it, Mike Bloomberg came to my grammar school for a Town Hall meeting and I got to sit in with him and ask him questions directly .. I called my business partner right after the meeting and said .. hey you know who I was just chatting with?

I guess the point is that if I have a conduit with S/F (as an enthused homeowner) that may otherwise be difficult, for whatever reason to open up, I'm happy to share the bandwidth with other voices.

This discussion has been closed.