Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking for Boiler Stop Leak Compound

Options
What Boiler Stop Leak Compounds would you recommend?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Stop leak compound:

I always recommend a new wooden crate with a new boiler in it.

My old High School auto shop teacher used to preach to us that "You can't buy a mechanic in a can". That said, I have NEVER been successful with ANY stop leak compound for more than a few weeks or months. It just forstalls the enevitable. It gives them time to shop around for someone else less intellegent, to tell them what they want to hear. That the boiler can be saved. It can't.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited November 2010
    Options
    ice is right....

it is a band -aid. I have had some sucess only w/ one job (a steamer)  and it was a leak between section issue not a rotten/ corrosion  leak. I never got a chance to replace the boiler... probabaly found someone cheaper who would not do the job to Mfg. specs.

kpc
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    whether to stop the leak-compound

there could be some justifiable reasons to make a temporary repair with stop-leak. remember that it should be temporary-meaning the end of the season-max!

some old customers may be in a financial bind, and therefore not able to afford a proper repair at the moment.

this is not the same situation as the home owner who is unwilling to spend $40 on a low-pressure steam gauge which he can probably well afford, and which would save that money spent [with other work done].

the first situation is that probably that of economic duress, the second is false economy.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.