Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

priming pump in tank?

Options
Just got through putting an auxilary electic fuel pump on my GMC Diesel that decided using the injestor pump as the fuel pump was the way to go. This was a prophylactic. Hadn't sucked any air yet, but wasn't waiting around to air-up an injector pump to the tune of a couple grand. Following the truck threads, this is a common approach where the fuel/injector pump is way downstream working on suction through a number of fittings and filters.

So it got me to thinking, with the revolution in intank fuel pumps for automotive use, what about dropping one of those babies into the oil tank as a priming pump? If the tank runs dry or you empty the filter for cleaning, etc., you could use a 12V charger or jump box to run the filter and lines full. I've always wondered how really good it is for the oil pumps on burners to self prime from dry. Maybe that isn't a scream of protest we're hearing while waiting (and hoping) for the fuel to get sucked up the line.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who ever thought of this?

I can't tell you how much I like the ones I have put in my diesels. NO more dry cranking. You just turn on the electric pump and crack the bleeder. Off to the races. Saves the starter, etc.

Brian
This discussion has been closed.