Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relationship between amount of water and pressure

Options
wiley
wiley Member Posts: 16
Hi All-

First time steam owner here - with a 1940 crane boiler which has been working very well. Looks like it was converted to an oil burner at some point.

My question- Since having the boiler the pressure has been  running a bit high - 3psi

The water in the sight glass was about 1/3 of the way up the column, which the plumber felt was good.

Recently I drained the boiler, refilled, and now the water in the sight glass is at the 1/2 way point. Pressure in the system is at a steady 2psi

Is there a connection between more water in the system and the pressure being created?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Water and pressure

The amount of water ion a steam boiler should not make any real difference. Does the boiler cycle off on high limit or just when the thermostat is satisfied?

0-30PSI gauges are not very good down at the low end, what are the settings on your Pressuretrol? Does the gauge read zero when the boiler is cold or just warm? Usually setting the tab in front to 0.5 and the white wheel, under the cover, to 1 is about as good as you get get with a Pressuretrol. For lower pressure you would have to use a vaporstat. With a vaporstat you usually want to add an Auxiliary low pressure gauge 90-3PSI or even a 0-20OZ).

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • wiley
    wiley Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Water/steam pressure

Thanks for your response Bob - It appears that my boiler is cycling off at the high limit, not when the thermostat is satisfied.

Will check the setting on the pressuretrol - not sure of the current settings.
This discussion has been closed.