Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Filling a Roth tank?

freesoul
freesoul Member Posts: 2
Greets, just got a used Roth tank with all fittings. The fill fitting is very small where it drops into the tank, and I used 2" pipe for my fill. I went to put fuel in it yesterday and you have to pump it very slowly or it backs up and out the fill. Am I missing something here? I went on the Roth website and found nothing. Is there supposed to be a fitting on the fill tube to put the fuel in under pressure?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Roth tanks:

A used tank and something is missing.

Ventalarms are required by code and insurance. Oil companies are not supposed to fill a tank without a vent alarm.

The opening on the tank is over three inches. The plastic adapters change that to whatever size you need.

If this tank is in Massachusetts, it sounds like the install wouldn't pass inspection. I've never seen what you describe.

A roth tank is just a giant plastic fuel container like you buy at the hardware store.
  • Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    wrong fitting

It sounds like you have a fill fitting from a multiple tank set up. I have 3 of those babies in  my house and the fill is reduced in order to properly distribute the oil into the tanks evenly, but it takes the pressure of the oil delivery pump truck to do so. Instructions say at least 40 GPM delivery rate for the system to work.

Get a metal pipe adapter from ROTH. They come in two inch size and pipe the single tank as you would any other like sized tank per you area's codes and the problem will disappear.
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    ditto

Those Roth 2" adapters should be readily available. I've got an extra if you're in RI just drop me an e-mail riwiseuse@cox.net or note here.

I haven't encountered the multi-tank fills.  I assume they have some pressure spring on them.  So probably if you install a standard quick fill on your 2" piping then it will work fine as is. I call the Scully's but my wholesalers like Quick-fill.

Depending on your exit from the building they make a standard female pipe by quick-fill 45 deg. fitting that you install on a pipe coming horizontally out of the building.

I noticed a question about a whistle. That would be installed in the vent line in one of the other openings and you went to outside (both for fumes and so the dudes can hear t he whistle although it is a fairly piercing sound that you could usually hear through the wall.

That installs in those same 2" adapters that are available to convert from the plastic compression attachments to pipe thread.  Those adpaters are available in plastic for some light duty stuff but for the main piping you will want the steel ones.  BTW, depending on the length and complexity of piping you probably would have been fine with a smaller pipe size but if you are already at 2" no sense going backwards.

Assume you got one of the supply adapters with the tank that provides for the attachement of compression fittings with your fuel line to the boiler dropping down into the tank.

I was really psyched when I scored one of these that I could store more oil in a small space, but because of the foaming while filling and the regular shape of the tank you actually lose more filling capacity at the top than on the 225 or 275 steels. Empty fill on mine even with the guy chatting for a couple minutes to let it settle was only 242.

Brian
  • Bob Daros
    Bob Daros Member Posts: 11
    Proper fill

I love roth tanks when they are installed correctly.

Unfortuneatly they all are not done properly.

If you have a single tank, you must use the metal adapters. If you have the plastic ones, throw them out and find someone who sell the steel type.

If you are looking to get a full tank of oil, beware of over fills. There should not be that much foam if you are going directly in with 2" piping. If you have the reducing part for a multi tank set up, you need to take it out. You can also cut a few inches off the vent alarm stem. It should be about 3 to 4 inches into the tank. Don't go to short or you run the risk of an over flow. Remember that ice cold oil into the tank inside which may be room temperature will result in an expansion of the oil.
  • Cold in Baltimore
    Cold in Baltimore Member Posts: 14
    Roth Vent whistle

According to NFPA 30 the vent alarm is to trigger at 90% full. The Roth tank chart at www(dot)roth-usa(dot)com/PDF_Download_Files/DWT_Fill_Chart(dot)pdf shows 90% at 53 inches. If the tank is 56 inches tal,l that means that the whistle should be 3 Inches long.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2014
    I don't fill

Them just install, about 5 or 6 of them. I would send a guy over when the fuel company came to fill the tank.

I was under the impression that the tank had to be under pressure. I have 2 - 140 gallon in a basement that's twined together. I was like how are they filled equally ?

Obviously I followed direction and went to a three hour on how & why installation class. I suggest you get the tanks rep down there and let him show you what has to be installed.

What you don't want to do is mess up somehow and have oil on basement floor.

Did u get the sticker to put on outside to show you have a roth tank.

It has different procedure to fill then oil tank.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Twin Tanks:

Roth and Schutz had a kit for twining two or more tanks together. I've never done one but I fixed an aborted double tank. I had photos of them but someone stole my camera. It only had one fill for both tanks. I don't remember that it had two vents. But, tank back pressures made them fill together. One always filled slightly more than the other. As far as drawing down, if you use a Tigerloop, the tanks draw down together so that no matter what, the tank that is the fullest will be drawn off until they are equal.