Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remove factory plug from tapping in Burnham boiler

Options
chris_69
chris_69 Member Posts: 29
Do you think it's possible to remove the factory plug from the aquastat tapping in a Burnham Independence boiler that's been in steam service for 12 years?

There's not enough room to get a 36 inch wrench on it, and I'm afraid of cracking a boiler section.   Nuclear weapons aren't allowed by code in my area, so that's not an option.

Give it up?

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,763
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Re; plug removal

How big of plug, if small, socket. If over 1.5" or so we drill out center and make a cut to near threads, NOT INTO THREADS, then we can usually just take cold chisel and push inward toward cut. Must be real careful or you will kill your boiler section.  We do all the time so we are use to it, takes patience. If your not a pipe fitter, might want to have one do this.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

You could try heating the casting with a torch. Might help.
  • chris_69
    chris_69 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    It's about 2"

The plug is about 2" - I haven't pulled the jacket and insulation away to look yet.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Plug

Heat it up like Paul said, and put a candle on it, the candle wax  will pull into the threads and lubricate the plug, even when the boilers are new their plugs are a real pain to take out
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    plug

drill holes around the circumference of the plug just inside the threads. use a sharp bit, no oil. bust the center out with a hammer and chisel and then collapse what's left by directing the chisel toward the center. works every time.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.