Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about Taco 007-F4 Circulator and amp draw

Options
Hello, first post here...hoping someone can help answer a question for me.

My boiler pump/circulator (hot water baseboard heat) was looked at by a plumber recently while doing our every year check/maintenance.  He checked the amperage of the circulator with an A/C Amp clamp and said that it was seeing some age and for me to keep an eye on it (he showed me how to check it). 

On the electrical cover of the cartridge it is rated at .70amp.  His meter showed it at .80amp.  He put some conditioner into the system in hopes that it would allow the pump to work a little better and maybe get it functioning back in the .70 amp range. 

He said I should check it periodically (with an amp clamp or in my case, a Fluke 115 meter) and if the amperage draw begins to climb, it indicates a need for replacement.  Is this true?  I just measured it today and with my Fluke 115, it's showing .926 amp.

Please let me know if this is the normal running-range for this carttridge/pump or if in fact, the plumber was right and I need to replace asap.

Thanks.

Mitch

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Those pumps are like a light bulb...

Shining brightly one minute, and DEAD AS A DOOR NAIL the next. They also draw the same amperage when they are locked rotor as they do under a normal full load consideration....

Voltage variations will result in amperage variations as well.

The pump doesn't really cost that much and is easily replaced. You can replace the cartridge/can assembly without having to replace the volute. If in doubt, purchase a spare.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mitch_chapman
    mitch_chapman Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    Options
    That fragile, eh?

Thank you Mark.  Yes, it sounds like a good idea to order a replacement cartridge, which I'll do. 

So, is the rise in current draw (assuming voltage fluxuations are not an issue) on a circulator like this from the spec'd .70 to now .926 an indication that it's struggling and/or closer to failure?

Thanks,

Mitch
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I think....

it is indicating winding failure, because those pumps draw the same amperage wether they are moving full load or whether they are locked rotor.... Might want to purchase a whole pump, that way you are covered for the Friday evening failure....

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mitch_chapman
    mitch_chapman Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Will do

Thank you Mark for the information and good advice.

Mitch
This discussion has been closed.