Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chemicals in boiler

Options
acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
Does anyone have experiance with putting chemicals in the boiler to clean it out? What is the best brand? How do you add it to your boiler and when. Can they ruin the boiler? Thank You

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    H2O+chemicals?

there are several different types of water contamination in boilers, search for "skimming" here, and use that method rather than adding anything to the water.

there could be some situations which require chemicals to adjust the ph, but you would have to be certain the water was too acid, or too salty to know what to add.--nbc
  • acl10
    Options
    In HD catalog

In HD supply catalog they have one called Squick and another Hydronic Boiler cleaner. Anyone have experiance with them? How do you insert them in the boiler?
  • Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Squick

It is not easy filling through pressure relief valve. 

I have a union just below the water fill valve that I separate and I pour the powder into pipe, close union and flush into boiler with fresh water.

I decided the effort is not worth it.  Just drain crud out every month, fill with clean water, and fire. 
  • ceikey
    ceikey Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Squick

I used it because it is recommended in the lost art. I took off the relief valve and used a funnel to put it in. It was easy. The can says it will make all contaminates settle to the bottom so I did one last drain and fill after the squick was in for a few boiler heating cycles. It really did a nice job. You still need to do some long skims before using chemicals. I skimmed for a couple hours before using the squick.
  • acl10
    Options
    How do you skim a boiler?

How do you skim a boiler?
This discussion has been closed.