Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Accountant

A questions was raised to me concerning whether or not radiant heat under a floor will give off a bad odor if the floor has a tar paper lining between the sub-floor and the hardwood floor.  I assume it was placed there to limit noise.  Is there anyway to safeguard that this does not happen and/or will this odor be only temporary anyway.  I have never run into any complaints after installing radiant heat but that doesn't mean I should ignore the possibility.  Can this happen or at what temperature will this off gassing possibly happen?

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    it can

and tar paper under radiant isn't really recommended. I don't really have any other details except non-tar builder's paper or the like is a better choice.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • marinot
    marinot Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    existing tar paper

The house I am concerned about already has this tar paper through out the home. Is there anyway to get around this off gassing issue?
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    hmm.

well, you're not the first in this situation, so it's by no means a given to be a problem. Do you know what you're running for water temps?
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • marinot
    marinot Member Posts: 3
    temp

Would like to get to a surface temp of 80 degrees, at the highest temp the tube would be at 120 degrees.
  • Kungur
    Kungur Member Posts: 49
    My Experience

I just finished doing my radiant floor retro. I have quarter sawn-red oak floor with tar paper. I am running 130F water and have not had any odor at all.

I did a staple up with aluminum transfer plates.
This discussion has been closed.