Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Near boiler piping question

Options
I have a customer who had another company install a gas/steam boiler approx 5 years ago and has had nothing but problems since. All the near boiler piping is incorrect, no equalizer, no header, only one riser. The manufacture calls for (2) 2" risers and a 3" header. The house has 2 1/2" supply piping. So the boiler is over-sized. Which would be the most correct? Make the header 3 and reduced to 2 1/2 supply or is that just a waste of 3" or do I just make the header 2 1/2".I'm just looking to make the best of a bad situation. Also is there any problems I can expect be doing it this way?

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2010
    Options
    you can't go

wrong with a bigger header .. at least operationally. my dead men put in a 3" header and reduced to 2" .. my new boiler has 3" --> 2" as well. more importantly, if the manual calls for 3" .. you should do nothing less.

a bigger pipe will only help in a problematic situation .. it will reduce steam velocity and carryover and produce dryer steam ..

have a look at both my new and old pics (links in last line of signature) if you are curious what a 3" header in 2" insulation looks like ..

i hope this helps.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    I can see

where your application can be complicated.  Come out of the boiler with 2", then increase to 3", then reduce to 2.5".  It will look real cool, but it sounds complicated to put together.

My boiler called for 3" risers and a 3" header, reduced to 2 for the EQ.  Then we reduced the header to 2" for supply 1, and 1.5" for supply 2.  My installer used a drop header to make the job easier.  Manufacturer specs were exceeded, and the steam is dryer.  It runs great.  Good luck with your decision!
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    3" drop header

thats what i would do
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    5 years of problems

they probably did not make the main vents right as well, so especially if the boiler is over-sized, get that air out!! low pressure would be a benefit too. can you down-fire?--nbc
This discussion has been closed.