Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators

Options
We reciently bought a house with radiators. The house has been unoccupied for at least three years. We turned on the gas boiler and unfortunately the floor near one boiler is now covered in water. I am afraid that the other radiators could be damaged. How can I check radiators for leaks without having to turn on the boiler and wait for a leak? They are cast iron and have a two pipe system. 

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2010
    Options
    do you have steam or hot-water .. it's a big difference...

a picture of your boiler and the funny looking controls with the electrical wires coming out (if any) will tell us right away ..

however, my fear is that the leak you are seeing is from the actual boiler unless you pinpointed it back to an actual radiator.

where are you located?
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Lisauze
    Lisauze Member Posts: 3
    Options
    re

Im not sure if its steam or hot water. I found the crack in the radiator along the back of one of the fins and water was poring out of it and all over the floor. The boiler is a furnace with a gas flame with a psi setting switch and a round copper reservoir tank above it. 
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    sound like ..

perhaps hot water .. but we need more info or a picture to be sure .. is there a gauge on the boiler .. what numbers/scales are on the gauge?

i do question why there's a rad near the boiler .. you say the rad was leaking but it ended up on the boiler floor?

i'm not sure that there is a way to test the radiators without water .. i suppose you could try compressed air and see if there is any leaking .. but you don't want to pressurize your system with too much PSI of air .. maybe the blower end of a shop-vac is all that i'd feel comfortable with.

didn't your home inspector turn the heat up prior to your closing .. but i'm sure that's another issue altogether ..
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.