Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

banging pipes

Options
RickE
RickE Member Posts: 1
We have an old steam heat system that was heated by an oil burner. Occasionally when the water level was off we would have banging pipes. This summer we converted to gas heat. Most of the piping and the radiators remain the same. Now whenever the system comes on we get loud banging. We have had the installer back twice, but nothing seems to change. Why do we have the banging now when we didn't before and how can we get rid of it???

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Probably water hammer

Your new boiler is probably producing more steam a lot faster than the old boiler did. That is probably exacerbating whatever problems you had before. Read through this link and see if anything seems familiar.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/132791/Whats-with-the-water-in-the-bottom-of-my-radiator-Yet-Another-Clanging-Hammering-Scenario

Can you tell what pipe or radiator seems to be the worst? All the piping should be slightly sloped so the condensing steam can find it's way back to the boiler.When exactly does the noise start? Just as the pipes start to heat up or after it's been hot for a while. Is the water in the sight glass bouncing up and down a lot?

What is the boiler pressure running at? It should be below 2 PSI. Take some pics of the boiler and the near boiler piping above and behind it so we can see if the install was done correctly. You can attch those pictures to your reply.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    not enough info which is clear .. please send pics

what do you mean when you say "the water level was off" .. i'm not understanding..

what do you mean when you say "converted to gas" .. did you simply change the burner and keep the old boiler? did you install a new boiler?

what do you mean when you say "most of the piping" are you implying that you now have new near-boiler piping but all the other piping was left seemingly intact?

what was the Normal Water Level (measured from the floor) of the old(?) boiler? what is the Normal Water Line now? do you have any "return" pipes joined ABOVE the waterline now?

when I installed my new boiler, i had to drop down a joined return otherwise it would have been above waterline .. and this would have been a problem. look around the pipes at the FAR end of your overhead mains .. see if you have 2 pipes horizontally connected but dropping down into a water return and ABOVE the waterline .. for that matter, perhaps your entire "what used to be wet" return is now dry.

as was stated earlier today, usually the symptoms fo a steam issue are not in the same room as the problem.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.