Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Joint leaking

Options
acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
When a new pipe was being put in one of the old pipes got pushed and the joint started leaking. see picture 1st joint after boiler. Whats the best way to stop it. The joinf cannot be tightened.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    If it is leaking

at the union it needs disassembled cleaned and re assembled. If it is at the threads same applies.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    We cant take it apart

To take it apart I would have to cut it out and it would cost to much to repipe. I just need a way to seal it. Its not a big leak. Would solder help? Tape? some other thing I dont know about?  
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    no

only one way to fix it properly. others may have ideas
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited November 2010
    Options
    Shot in the dark

You said the joint can't be tightened, is that because the union thread is slipping or because it is seized and you can't get the nut to turn?

If you can get it to turn can you see any sign of a crack where the union fitting joins it's threaded stub?

If you can find a crack and post a pic perhaps we can collectively come up with a Rube Goldberg that will get you by. Something like a lead saddle held in place with a radiator clamp - not pretty or kosher but it might get you by.

Also if you can loosen that nut and the leak is at the union face maybe you can get something in there to act as a gasket. A long shot but who knows.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • haaljo
    haaljo Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Its not under signficant pressure. Don''t see why you can't

use an expoxy. I have had good luck with seal-all  follwing instructions with layers of selant - wrapped in electrical tape.
  • mac_pro
    mac_pro Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Professionals: Avert your eyes -

I had a leak at an elbow below a first floor radiator. It seems the pipe had been pitched backwards too many years and it rusted through at the threads.

This will all get replaced when I put in new boilers, so…

I removed the rust (wire brush) and put on wad of high-temperature epoxy putty.

The stuff I used is PC-Fahrenheit (pcepoxy.com) from the local hardware store. It's supposed to survive up to 500F.

I expect it to last for a season, but who knows.

(I like the lead saddle and clamp idea.)

single pipe steam 1925

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited November 2010
    Options
    let's get some clarity on ...

exactly what "joint" is leaking .. in the picture I see a union ...

and an elbow (or 90) ..

at least those are the obvious things in the photo .. the union should be able to be opened and the two pieces of pipe separated .. that's what a union is for (head on down to Home Depot, pick up a union and see how they work, you don't even need to buy it).. then you can either work your way vary quickly to the elbow if that's the leaker .. or work right there on the union .. i do not see any great need to be cutting right now .. i just see that 2 guys perhaps with two 3ft wrenches and a breaker bar might be necessary. otherwise call a pro because they have just that.

the nice thing is that you won't need probably to ruin any of your pipes .. and if one of the pipes is offending, then Home Depot (dare I say it) will cut to size, as will most supply houses, at least near me.

when you reassemble .. use some of your favorite pipe dope (my preference is mega-loc) and some lampwick and the same 2guys with the big wrenches... you should be good to go.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,426
    Options
    4ft Wrenches

I'm thinking it's the union...nothing a couple of 4ft wrenches can't fix, ha!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    whatever works

My old boss always said "whatever works". It does not have to be pretty, it just has to get us past today, this week or whatever.

We'll deal with whatever happens next.

That philosophy went a long way back in 1966 on a mountaintop site in Korea.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.