Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can you install 2 circulators flowing differnt directions?

Chris_102
Chris_102 Member Posts: 19
Hey everybody, its heating season again! Got a stupid question, but I am very puzzled by it. I have a customer who wants to put heat in her basement. House is very small maybe 1,200 Sq. Ft. She has old Cast Iron Radiators, on the main floor (only 1 floor). The boiler is only about 10 years old (Utica Bolier) bout 100,000 BTU's. She has a 2 pipe feed/return system, whoever installed the boiler left 3/4" supply/returns for an extra zone, off the boiler. I am going to tie my new zone into these supplys/returns. She said that she wanted to keep the cost low and dosent want add a seperate zone in the basement, she wants to keep everyone on one T-stat. My questions are #1 - If I install the one zone, like she wants it, won't the basement get WAY to hot  (i think the basement heat loss called for a toltal of 11' of radation) because it takes awhile for the cast iron radiators to heat up? #2 - I like to do things the RIGHT way, and people taught me to install my circs. on the FEED, pushing through the sytem. The circulator thats on the system now, is a Taco 007, on the return, "pulling through the system." If i install my circ on the supply side, and have it pushing, will it cause a problem? What should I do? Please help!

-Chris

P.S. She has a non-diaphgram expansion tank.

Comments

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    TRVs

For the basement loop, you may use TRVs to prevent over heating on a call for heat. However, keep in mind that the cast iron radiators will retain heat longer than fin tube baseboard assuming that is what you use in the basement.
    :NYplumber:
This discussion has been closed.