Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Midco Burner EC 200

The burner is 2 years old, Found a bad transformer (120 /24vac) .When I replaced it I added a % amp fuse (In case the problem was not just the transformer). The system ran About 5 mins , and the fuse blew. I ohm everything all look good. Then I remover the T'stat from the circuit ,at the t'stat . It ran till it satisfied . So ,replaced the t'stst (Honeywell 4000) Got a call several hours later that the fuse went . Could the capacitor for the Fenwal control (high voltage for spark) cause a high amp draw to kill the fuse

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Re: fuse blowing

I would not think so but seen stranger. Odd that you change the stat and then it runs for much longer but still blows. Did you amp out the secondary circuit to see what it is drawing? You might be able to trace it down to the culprit drawing too much.  Tim
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Cheched

all,I'm thinking it blows at start up, sometimes. It only pulls 1.03 amp when running.      
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Fuses blow because of heat.

Fuses blow because of heat.  Internal heat from too much current.  Excessive external heat will cause the fuse to blow also.

Excess inrush current can be taken care by using a "Slo Blow" fuse.  If the fuse holder is making a poor contact with the fuse, that will also cause the fuse to blow.  Is the fuseholder getting "shined on" from a heat source?

Does the system use zone valves?  Could a defective switch be momentarily shorting out the 24 V supply?

The 5 Amp fuse should withstand a 100% overload for 60 minutes at room temperature before blowing.  I suspect that you have some sort of short circuit that occurs sometime during a heating cycle.

Larry C
This discussion has been closed.